Thursday, April 4, 2024

Winter Backpack - 3 (Big Pine Lakes, 1974)

Canyon, Snowfields, Lake - Sierra Nevada  1974

Frozen Lake, Pine Trees - Sierra Nevada  1974

There are a number of lakes on the Big Pine Lakes trail, but I'd guess that I only made it to the first or second lake. When I got there I set up my tent and bear bag (can't remember about the bear bag - did I bother with one? There were no bear cannisters at the time.) 

As I looked around at the setting . . . snow, trees, granite summits in the distance I thought to myself "How barren and sterile. Why did I bother struggling all the way up here?" At that point I clambered into the tent and took a well-deserved nap.

After a short rest I exited the tent, looked around and thought to myself "Wow! This is amazingly gorgeous. Snow, trees and granite summits!" This was one my earlier experiences of how altitude can be mood-altering.

No comments: