Thursday, November 7, 2013

Approaching Storm


Sierra Storm 0913 Video from Mike Mundy on Vimeo.


Taken with Mike's older Canon G12.

Mike almost felt that he should climb one of the trees, as a homage to John Muir. But he didn't.

Being accustomed to climb trees in making botanical studies, I experienced no difficulty in reaching the top of this one, and never before did I enjoy so noble an exhilaration of motion. The slender tops fairly flapped and swished in the passionate torrent, bending and swirling backward and forward, round and round, tracing indescribable combinations of vertical and horizontal curves, while I clung with muscles firm braced, like a bobo-link on a reed.

In its widest sweeps my tree-top described an arc of from twenty to thirty degrees, but I felt sure of its elastic temper, having seen others of the same species still more severely tried--bent almost to the ground indeed, in heavy snows--without breaking a fiber. I was therefore safe, and free to take the wind into my pulses and enjoy the excited forest from my superb outlook.

--John Muir, The Mountains of California

No comments: