Thursday, April 26, 2012

. . . from the archives #70: Tear Gas, Berkeley 1970

Tear Gas #1 - Berkeley 1970

Tear Gas #2 - Berkeley  1970

Not the Peoples' Park riots. No, I'm pretty sure that these riots were in response to the Kent State shootings.

At some point in the day, I grabbed my Kodachrome-filled Nikon F and headed over to . . . what was the name of that building, anyway? Doesn't matter: a tall ugly structure, but climbing the stairs I knew there was a view towards the northwest. When I got there the campus lay beneath me like a diorama and Sproul Plaza was filled with drifting clouds of tear gas.

The action developed randomly, with cops shooting tear gas cannisters and protesters flinging them back. Suddenly a little bit of the action appeared directly below me, tear gas flowing from a newly-shot cannister, people scurrying out of the way. Soon the gas began to rise, so I had to make a hasty retreat.


Wikipedia: Kent State shootings
Youtube Video: My First Quarter at Berkeley

2 comments:

Diane said...

Interesting photos, especially like the comp of the second one showing students running off in three directions.

California air quality in the news lately. Maybe there's hope for improvement.

Mike Mundy said...

Thanks! At one point I had even more action pix but they've vanished into the mists of time.