Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Chama Valley

Chama Village Limit - New Mexico  2012

Clouds & Hills - New Mexico  2012

After negotiating some horrendous traffic in Farmington, Mike finally made it to the Chama Valley, north of Santa Fe.

There was something about that name . . . hm. Chama . . .

Oh right. Ansel Adams:

I had been photographing in the Chama Valley , north of Santa Fe . I made a few passable negatives that day and had several exasperating trials with subjects that would not bend to visualization. The most discouraging effort was a rather handsome cottonwood stump near the Chama River . I saw my desired image quite clearly, but due to unmanageable intrusions and mergers of forms in the subject my efforts finally foundered, and I decided it was time to return to Santa Fe .

Of course, the story ends with Adams pulling over and taking his well-known masterpiece, Moonrise, Hernandez, New Mexico.

Somehow, Mike didn't see any potential masterpieces. Some nice clouds, though. And then, finally (long day's drive), his motel in Los Alamos.

No comments: