Thursday, August 16, 2018

Coast Camp Backpack

Backpack (Coast Camp) - Point Reyes  2018

Fritos and Beer (Coast Camp) - Point Reyes  2018

Mike's annual Coast Camp backpack in Point Reyes took place last month. The hike in was much the same as last year's. 

The main issue with the camp is the lack of shade. So, maybe one shouldn't get there too early. The wind this year was tolerable at the campsite, but very strong down at the beach.

One goal of the trip was to test out Mike's new Marmot one-person tent (below). Unfortunately, the tent didn't work out due to a mismatch between the tent door and Mike's sleeping bag (ironically, also a Marmot product). (The bag opened to the side of the tent opposite the door.)

Luckily, there was no wind incident this time.


Tent, Hill - Point Reyes  2018

2 comments:

Curtis Faville said...

I wonder what the old pioneers did about the poison oak?

I got my worst case ever when photographing up on the hill above Garrapata Beach--probably about 1988. I got it from closing my big wooden tripod. The steel feet had sat directly inside the bush. That night I woke up in my camper shell covered with rashes all over my body. I took an icy cold shower in the campground, and drove directly home. It hung around for weeks. Even years after, traces were on my pick-up cab seat.

Mike Mundy said...

Yuck!

I remember trying out a bear canister once at Coast Camp, leaving it out as a challenge for the raccoons. They couldn't get into it, but they DID manage to push it far into a stand of poison oak. I managed to get it out using my hiking pole, then washed it off with no adverse effects.