Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Mamiya C220 - Shooting a Roll of Film

Maple, Fence, Nandina - Marin County  2012

Large Pot - Marin County  2012


Wanting to see if my Mamiya C220 twin-lens reflex was still in operating order I stopped by Marin Film Works in San Rafael and bought a roll of Fujifilm Provia color transparency film for six bucks. Based on old habit I was able to load the film without any difficulty.

I affixed the camera to a tripod and took it into the backyard. Luckily that day there was a high overcast giving bright even light. Looking down through the hood I composed the shot on the camera's groundglass screen, then focused using the built-in magnifying glass. (By the way - any digital camera's LCD screen is brighter.) For a light meter I used  my Canon G12 set to ISO 100 and aperture priority. Since the Canon  will only go up to f8 I had to take that reading and make adjustments for the Mamiya's higher f-stops (up to f45.)

Part of the process that was giving me a little trepidation was the switching of lenses. Would the light-proof interior flap remain light-proof? I did the switch to telephoto, took some shots, then switched back to  the normal lens and kept shooting.

After taking the roll's 12 exposures I took it back to Marin Film Works to be developed. I picked up the 12 transparencies, nicely trimmed and placed in glassine envelopes, the next day.

They all came out!   Holding them up to the light you could see nice rich tonalities and lots of detail.

I took them home, got out my Epson V700's 120 film holder and scanned a few of the positives. I saved the scans as TIF files, then opened the files and tweaked using Adobe Camera Raw. I've posted two of the results above.  Top photo taken with the camera's normal lens, bottom with the telephoto.

I imagine that using a truly high-res scan, together with Photoshop, awesome results could be achieved.

No comments: