Tuesday, April 8, 2008

My Web Site

My official web site can be found here.

I have it as part of a one-price-pays-for-x-pages deal with register.com. For a fairly low price, you get a limited choice of pages, colors, fonts, templates etc. Then it's up to you to do what you can with it. Of course, they will gladly sell you their services in designing a better site.

Whatever. I'm not happy with it. The whole thing is a big trial-by-error operation: try one thing, oops, doesn't work, try another, oops, not that great but maybe I can live with it. My current color scheme is the best that I can do, but certainly could be a lot better. Unfortunately, the choices just aren't there.

I first got the site as a vanity thingie, but now I'd like to turn it towards a more commercial direction. I have in mind something like Dave Beckerman's site. The sad thing is that the whole web-building process is, in fact , very complicated. At first I assumed that all I'd have to do would be to read a few books. But since the project would involve selling prints there are a few quirks that would need to exist, mainly, the need for thumbnail pix with a link to bigger pix.

Now my thoughts are going in the direction of paying for a service. Fleeting Light, for example, is a local company that will design a site for you. They designed Alan Ross' site.

Nothing that I'm going to do any time soon, mind you. I'll stick with register.com for a while longer, tweaking, tweaking, tweaking.

No comments: