Friday, April 18, 2008

Contact Sheets II


I had talked about contact sheets earlier, here. But, in re-reading, I can see that I presented contact sheets as something archaic, something that one did in the olden times (that is, 10 years ago).

The reality is that, in fact, I continue to create "contact sheets"—virtual contact sheets, I guess you would call them. I select 30 digital files (photos) and print them on a sheet of Epson matte paper, three-hole punch them, and file them in a binder. Up to now, that has been the extent of my digital organizing, so that if I want to find one particular photo, I have to drag out the binders and go through them, trying to remember the approximate date of the photo.

The issue for me now is that I am having a hard time locating photographs to put on my web site. For example, I want to create a separate "Desert" page, analogous to the "Mountains" page, but up to now I haven’t organized photos based on subject matter. I mean, I’ve taken, oh, hundreds of desert pictures . . . but they’re scattered all over the place.
It can be done, I know: the organizing and categorizing of digital photographs . . . but the prospect of actually sitting in front of the computer and creating keywords, ranking systems, etcetera, strikes me as being incredibly tedious.

Yawn.

Photo: Contact Sheet #198

No comments: