Monday, December 19, 2011

Monday Hermit Thrush Blogging (2011 Picks)

Hermit Thrush - Marin County  2011


In the swamp, in secluded recesses,  

A shy and hidden bird is warbling a song.    
Solitary, the thrush,
The hermit, withdrawn to himself, avoiding the settlements,           
Sings by himself a song.

From Walt Whitman's When Lilacs Last in the Door-Yard Bloom'd.

This thrush, however, was not withdrawn to himself at all, standing firmly athwart the gate, refusing me entry. By chance I had my Nikon D90 hanging around my neck, so I was able to slowly put down my grocery bags, bring up the Nikon and take several shots in the rain, gradually inching forward until the little bird got bored with the standoff. Taken in April, 2011.

2 comments:

cleek said...

awesome. love the raindrops.

Mike Mundy said...

Thanks!

(Mr. Cleek also uses a D90, as seen here.)