Thursday, January 24, 2008

The Tilting LCD Screen


I am patiently waiting for the correct small camera to be announced. It will have many of the features of the Canon G9, to be sure, as listed by Paul Butzi here.


But I do insist on one thing: a tilting LCD screen, as seen on my older Olympus C-8080. When in use, the camera can be tangling from your neck, discreetly at waist level, while you compose your photograph. Equally of value is the ability to prop the camera on the nearest support (suitcase handle, garbage can, whatever) in order to take slow shutter speed photos.


For a period of time I had occasion to walk through downtown San Francisco on my daily commute, rolling my wheeled Jansport daypack behind me. It became second nature to be able to quickly balance the C-8080 on the Jansport’s handle and snap away.


Actually, I believe that the older Canon G-models had tilting LCD screens . . . they could even swivel (don’t really see the point for swiveling). Interestingly enough, some recent digital SLR models now have this feature.

No comments: