Wednesday, August 16, 2023

Fushimi Inari - 1

Torii (Kyoto) - Japan  2023

Torii (Kyoto) - Japan  2023

Fushimi Inari-taisha (伏見稲荷大社) is the head shrine of the kami Inari. Inari was originally and remains primarily the kami of rice and agriculture, but merchants also worship Inari as the patron of business. Each of Fushimi Inari's roughly 10,000 torii was donated by a Japanese business, and approximately 800 of these are set up in rows that give the impression of entering a tunnel.

Foxes (kitsune), regarded as the messengers, are often found in Inari shrines.

- Wikipedia

One of the Kyoto must-see sights which we had somehow never been to before; Jim and Margaret provided the impetus for our visit this time. There's a loop trail up to the top of the mountain, which we didn't do, but Jim did. 

I particularly liked the fox statues. Although, to be honest, I prefer my 1966 photo over this one.


Fox (Kyoto) - Japan  2023

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mike: I spent a year in Japan in 1985. I spent six weeks in Kyoto photographing the gardens with my 4x5 and boxes of Ektachrome. Stayed in a Ryokan on the river. I never got to Nara or Tokyo. Hope you’re having a super time.

Mike Mundy said...

Thanks! We went to Japan in late May and early June, 2023. Finally over my jet lag!