Saturday, September 5, 2020

Point Lobos - 1999

Grass, Ocean - Point Lobos  1999

Wave - Point Lobos  1999

Taken in the days when Point Lobos wasn't inundated by crowds. 

The community has spoken, and State Parks has listened: Starting as early as next summer, visiting Point Lobos State Natural Reserve will require a reservation, aimed to prevent the park from being loved to death, and to curb the sometimes chaotic parking on the side of Highway 1.

“I’ve heard from docents who used to help visitors see whales, and now they’re picking up diapers, says Kate Daniels, chief of staff for County Supervisor Mary Adams, whose district includes the Carmel and Big Sur coast.

2 comments:

Curtis Faville said...

When I first photographed at Lobos in the late 1980's, it was already being overwhelmed. Visitors were restricted to pathways, roped in, and tripods were restricted as well. Still, I was able to get a few very nice shots that found their way into my book.

Access is increasingly restricted throughout the national and state park systems. I often found myself in conflict with the "watch-dogs" (rangers) who had peculiar ideas about large format photography. I think they believed that I would "steal" the spirit of the majestic views, if allowed to patiently set up and expose at overlooks. They, of course, had only pure hearts, and needed to keep the corrupt and mercenary tourists from ruining everything. They thought of the parks as their personal precinct.

Mike Mundy said...

Interesting. The largest camera I ever saw in actual use was at the Valley View turnout in Yosemite: Very Large Camera

Although I personally have never had any issues with rangers I have had some issues with ordinary folk due to the paranoia of our times.