Tuesday, May 21, 2019

Bishop Pass / Le Conte Canyon Backpack - 2007

Pre-Backpack Car Camp - Sierra Nevada  2007

Bishop Pass Trail Sign - Sierra Nevada  2007

I've been going through some of my earlier digital contact sheets, at one point actually printed by me on Epson matte paper (don't do that anymore). As I was flipping through the pages I came across these photos taken during a solo backpack in 2007 over Bishop Pass. They were taken with an Olympus E-510, a "four-thirds" DSLR. Some of the photos are quite good, if I do say so myself.

This was one in a series of hikes that I was taking that took me over the Sierra crest from Owens Valley into the back country. (Prior to that I had mainly done a number of out and back overnights.) In those days my standard practice was to car camp the night before the start of the hike, thus ensuring an early start. It's interesting . . . I still have, and use, most of the equipment shown in the camp photo (except for the tent and the backpack).

(Actually, as I had mentioned, an April Ohio trip that we had planned had to be called off. I had expected to be posting a number of mid-America photos right about now: urban, rural, Amish . . . But no. So I've had to scramble for some blog photos . . . )

1 comment:

Curtis Faville said...

Never have done much backpacking myself.

I packed back to a couple of high country fishing lakes in the 1950's with my stepdad, but never did it again.

I've resisted packing back for photo-ops, since the equipment I used was way too heavy to permit
more than a half-day hike. I've been wanting to do a big shot of a special viewpoint I located at
Arches for a long time, but I probably never will now.

Kenny Rogers, notably, hired helicopters to take him to remote locations to get shots.

Then there's that fellow--Hiroshi Hamaya [sp.?}--who tales aerial shots in the Himalayas.