Saturday, May 26, 2018

Ursula LeGuin

Napa LeGuin 1989 Project - Marin County  2018

I have always admired the work of Ursula LeGuin (who died earlier this year), especially her earlier works. How pleasing to be able to participate in this small, elegant project! The text for "Napa: The Roots and Springs of the Valley" (1989) was excerpted from a chapter in LeGuin's novel, Always Coming Home. The photos, to be honest, are not that great (small 35mm black and white prints). But the overall product is quite nice . . . designed and produced by James Linden.

A few years after the project came out, LeGuin was in Marin County for a booksigning. I went and purchased her latest book, and brought along one of the "Roots and Springs" copies. I thought that I'd just slip it in there for her signature, but she paused, flipped through the pages, then said, "Why, we're collaborators!"

Shook my hand!

Update: Below, one of the photos from the project, along with the Publisher's Notes. Quite possibly I could have done a better printing job if I had had Photoshop. Alas, I didn't.



LeGuin Project Photo #2 - Napa Valley 1989

Publisher's Notes (LeGuin Project) 1989

2 comments:

Curtis Faville said...

Can't see the pictures.

Mike Mundy said...

Added one of them.